Friday 26 June 2015

You Can't Hold Me Down...

Preamble: This is a story is the long awaited follow up to The Hood. That story was about me stopping to talk to a young man on the train, about youth knife crime and youth gun crime that is currently on the streets. What the young man said to me triggered memories of my early life. The following is what I was thinking



My Mum said to me, it all a big dream, 
I said, it can't be Mum, Mum it was all reality,
Mum it was all reality, as, Mum it was all real to me, 
The flat, in between, Jefferys Road, Larkhall Lane
Larkhall Lane, Prioy Buildings, Priory Grove, Flat Three 
The days, before my eleventh birthday, when you picked me, up in the limosine,
The days, living in stockwell, when, well, the fridge was always well stocked, 
The days, hitting the corner shop, in my Umbro and Sharp, united top, from JJB,
The days, I used to sit infront of the tv screen, 
Sit in front of the TV screen, playing Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, reading Nintendo magazines
Hanging posters of DBZ, WCW and WWF, 
WWF?, I mean, I mean WWE on my wall, 
On my wall, next to my primary school achievements, I recall
The days, when we would compete, and match, our sneeks, 
Match our sneeks, TN's, 110's, Ellisse's, on our feet
On our feet, on the street, you always wanted to see me neet, 
The days, when we use to venture to the adventures, Stuarts Road, Dorset Road, and Clufo,
The days, I used to play Oxide and Neutrino, Miss Dynamite and So Solid Crew, on my stereo,
The days, when we had a need, to speed, to drop me, to Lingham Street, 
To drop me, to Lingham Street, listening to choice FM, Kat and RB, on the radio
The days, we when went to Wilcox Road, couple of criminals, to rent pirate videos,   
The days, of the Nokia Face off's, 3210's, 3310's, Snakes and Space Invaders, 
Snakes and Space Invaders, the days I use to walk to shop, and got, the Sunday Papers, 
The days, that you did not fuss, when, Black Roof, dissed us,
The days, you worked both night and day, so Christmas never missed us, 
The days, of the Fiat Tipo, before the Black Ford Focus
The day, when we came home, the door kicked open, they broke in, 
The day, they robbed us, and, broke into the house
They broke into the house, flipped over the couch, but didn't leave with large amounts 
The took my christening jewelery, and you said, don't worry baby about the jewel thiefs
You said, don't worry baby, about the jewel thiefs, as, your the only jewel to me,   
Fridays, those were the takeaway days, 
The days, when you used, to drive to Wandsworth Road, and, Hit Wings, Mc D's, or O.K, 
The days, we used to, drive to Jacks, so that you could treat me, to a Snowball, 
The days, you use to smoke ten Benson Hedges, then drink, a Cheery B or a Red Label
Before the days, before I grew and I knew, you treated me, to a Bacardi Breeze
We used to drink together when we were thirsty,
The days before, you used to push your problems on me, and curse me, 
The days, you and your mate, would say my bed, was a sty, and remind how lazy was I,
Wait, those were days before, you and your mate, choose, to make jokes about my weight,
Choose to make, jokes about my weight, while you and your mate, made me a plate
Made me a plate, then left me to contemplate,
Contemplate, The days, back when, I didn't have much friends in the ends,
I didn't have much friends' in the ends, and you and your mate, gave me the name, Billy no mates  
Our birthdays, were the same day, those were the worst days
Those were the worst days, as you reminded me about your hurt days
The hurt days, the days my Dad used chase you around the room, 
Chase you around the room, a couple of punches he would throw, a few
But fact that, you would punch back, I always handed to it you
The days, you would remind me, the time you said you got a knife, 
You got a knife, a stabbed my dad near his spine, couple of inches from his life,  
The days, you would remind me, that he pushed you, down the stairs, when you were pregnant,  
When you were pregnant, threatened Granddad to hand over the push chair,
The days, you would remind me, that my dad beat you so bad, that he damaged your eye sight,  
That my dad beat you so bad, that you wore glasses to, to get your eyes right 
The days, you would remind me, while I sat in the chair, as you did my hair, 
as you did my hair, that I was just like my Dad
That I was just like my Dad, you used to compare, I could go on, but hold on, 
Hold on, That was back in the day, Mum you have held me down for too long,
Too long, but just to let you know, imma let you go,  
You will always be my Mum, and I will always be your Son, 
The day, it all changed, and you knew it wouldn't be the same, 
Is the day I moved in with my Grandparents, 
In with my Grandparents, Spurgeon Estate, Guildford Road, number Sixty One  





Inspired by Biggie Smalls-Juicy


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful peice, i felt like i saw the childs viewpoint throughout and then a reflection of the life as an adult. It touched me and my eyes were watering at the deterioation of character, it hurts when you imagine someones strength not being able to carry out the best of their purposes in life. So many of us live as if we are alone in the struggle, everyone is affected and i applaud the bravery in the story and what it shares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you K Tellz for the comment. I am glad that you enjoyed it and could understand the intention, behind this piece and were able to take inspiration from it. I am in agreement with you, we not alone in the struggle, as I am a firm believer that we all are one.

      Delete
    2. Thank you K Tellz for the comment. I am glad that you enjoyed it and could understand the intention, behind this piece and were able to take inspiration from it. I am in agreement with you, we not alone in the struggle, as I am a firm believer that we all are one.

      Delete