Friday 15 May 2015

The Hood...

Preamble: This is a story is the long awaited follow up to The Meat. That story was about me stopping to talk to a young man on the train, about youth knife crime and youth gun crime that is currently on the streets. The following is what he said to me in response:

Aye, Bigman, aye, man that was big
Man that was big, Bigman, but, I am a big man, Bigman,
I ain't a little man, Bigman
Your movin all cheeky, you make me crease,
Your talkin out your cheeks, talking shit, bout your actually, pleased to meet me
Actually, i'm actually pleased to meet you,
As der, since were both here, der is somethin I need you to hear
Bigman, ders bodies every where, everybody wants to be somebody,
Everybody wants to be somebody, but ders, bodies out ere,
Ders nobodies that want be somebodies, but dese nobodies and somebodies are gettin bodied,
Nobodies, somebodies and everybodies out ere, but, out ere, nobody cares
Bigman, you have to use your eyes, to see what I see,
Bigman, you have to use your eyes, to see what I've seen,
Bigman, I see where your comin from, but you have to see where i'm comin from,
to see where i'm comin from, you see where i'm comin from?
Bigman, you see, I ear you G, I get what you mean, but do you get what I mean?
Bigman, you have to use your ears, to ear what I ear,
Bigman, you have to use your ears, to ear what I eared,
I's been out ere G, I's ears ear you, I's ear what your sayin,
I smell what your sayin Bigman, but I nose you nose what i'm sayin,
I nose you nose what i'm sayin Bigman, you smell me?
Bigman, I nose you have smelt it, but I don't nose if you ave you felt it?
Ave you felt it?, cah, I am from ah place where you need a thick a skin
A thick skin, cah, its a place where, the same ones that touch you, are the same ones that can touch you 
Nah, Bigman, I have been coverin my mouth and holdin my tongue,
Holdin my tongue and holdin my breath for two lung,
Out ere, Bigman, its just all long
I'ts just all long, my mind went, fuck, I mean't, holdin my breath for too long
Holdin my breath for too long, til I have been blue in the face,
Bigman, I am from a place, where your told to hold your breath,
Til your blew in the face, called ah wasteman, and asked how is the taste fam?
Bigman, I am from a place, where you if you are full of mouth
You get a mouth full, you get your mouth full,
Bare blows to the face, thats what we call a mouth full,
Bigman, it might be hard for you to swallow, but out ere, no joke, its cut throat, throats get cut
I need you digest what I just said, and if can't stomach it, I just dont a give fuck
Bigman, me and my G's, are out ere for the belly you get me
Everybody, out ere talk shit, like dere gettin it in, but trus, they ain us,     
Bigman, what you nose about, walking into a shop, and all the security, sees is teeth,
Your mum pleadin with you in your ead to put your best foot forward, 
But, before you get your foot in the door, all the security sees is, da feet,
Bigman, What you nose about, being up to your neck, you buy, cept, the security thinks that your armed
The security starts flexin his muscle, in your ead your mum is stressin not to get in a tussle,
But you try, cept the security starts searchin you fore arms,
Bigman, what you need to understand, I know out ere like the back of my hand,
Out ere, Bigman even though I hand it to you man, you have to understand,
You have to understand, Bigman im from place where, everybody wants point a finger
Everybody wants to point a finger, till somebody gets poked up, but, fuck,
But, fuck, Bigman, I don't give a fuck, 
I don't give a fuck, if you dont comprehend what I jus said,
Out ere, this is a place where, everybody jus tryin get a head,
Everybody jus tryin to get ahead trus, but, Bigman 
Bigman, out ere the hood jus goes over everybody's head cus.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting ideaology behind the mind of what the respondee is living. This is real, a snippet in the mind of what everyone labels a roadman, ive thought it pretty dumb, they are only reacting mentally to the cage they have been forced to live with in society. Dont get me wrong, some ppl ask for this way of life...but many time it be cycles of self destruction due to families torn apart..other circumstances etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for comment K. Tellz. Yes indeed this piece was interesting to write for me, as I had use my own experiences, as an avenue to attempt to get into another's mind-frame, to try to effectively articulate not only frustration, as well as the undervalued intelligence within today's youth culture. I do agree with you that some do choose that way of life, but I also respond to counter balance that argument to pose the question, "Do youth really get help within today's culture, to fulfill their potential?" through family, education system etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for comment K. Tellz. Yes indeed this piece was interesting to write for me, as I had use my own experiences, as an avenue to attempt to get into another's mind-frame, to try to effectively articulate not only frustration, as well as the undervalued intelligence within today's youth culture. I do agree with you that some do choose that way of life, but I also respond to counter balance that argument to pose the question, "Do youth really get help within today's culture, to fulfill their potential?" through family, education system etc

    ReplyDelete